V.N. Yudin – Dr.Sc.(Eng.), Professor, Moscow Aviation Institute (National Research University)
A.M. Volkov – Post-graduate Student, Moscow Aviation Institute (National Research University)
The goniometric (direction finding) method of passive location of radiation sources is widely known and used in the practice of radio monitoring (radio intelligence). The method is implemented on the basis of a set of passive radio direction finders placed at fixed or moving positions, the coordinates of which are known at the time of direction finding. Air systems can be implemented on the basis of a single aircraft carrier. The coordinates of the position finding positions are determined by means of satellite navigation. The coordinates of the radiated radiation sources are calculated from the totality of the obtained results of direction finding and the coordinates of the positions at the moments of direction finding.
The goniometric method of passive location of radiation sources is usually compared with the difference-distance measuring, while the comparison of the accuracy characteristics is usually not in favor of the goniometric method. However, from the point of view of implementation in aerial reconnaissance, the goniometric method is clearly preferable, since it can be implemented on the basis of a single aircraft carrier (manned or unmanned). A natural way to increase the accuracy characteristics of the angle method is to reduce radiation sources direction finding errors. Another way is to increase the volume of processed bearing information. This is an increase in the number of positions of direction finding on the route of the LA carrier direction finder. This path is associated with an increase in the time required for location of radiation sources with increased accuracy. Accordingly, it can give an effect only in relation to radiation sources, working on radiation for quite a long time.
This paper is devoted to clarifying the effect of increasing the volume of used direction-finding information on the level of positioning errors of the radiation sources using the goniometric location method for aerial reconnaissance based on a single air carrier. In addition, it should be noted that the identification of high accuracy capabilities of the method (down to levels sufficient for the formation of target indications to weapons) actualizes the issues of countering angular passive radar radiation sources by means of electronic warfare.
The approach to assessing the capabilities of the direction-finding method adopted in this work is based on the analysis of the goniometric location algorithm optimized by the least squares criterion using computer-aided simulation methods. The problem of locating radiation sources on a plane as applied to scenarios of practical interest is considered.
The results indicate significant opportunities to improve the accuracy of the angular method of passive radar, implemented by a single direction finder, placed on a movable air carrier, by increasing the amount of processed direction finding information (number of bearings), the shape of the flight path. A model experiment with the least-squares radiation sources positioning algorithm showed that, as applied to aerial reconnaissance scenarios of practical interest, the angular-radar radar system can provide radiation sources positioning errors of up to (few tens of) meters. This may be of significant practical importance.
- Saybel’ A.G. Osnovy teorii tochnosti radiotekhnicheskikh metodov mestoopredeleniya. M.: Oborongiz. 1958. (In Russian).
- Sosulin Yu.G. Teoreticheskie osnovy radiolokatsii i radionavigatsii. M.: Radio i svyaz’. 1992. (In Russian).
- Osnovy postroeniya i funktsionirovaniya uglomernykh sistem koordinatometrii istochnikov radioizlucheniy: Ucheb. posobie. Pod red. A.N. Simonova. SPb.: VAS. 2017. (In Russian).
- Zarubezhnye radioelektronnye sredstva. Pod. red. Yu.M. Perunova. V 4-kh knigakh. Kn. 2: Sistemy radioelektronnoy bor’by. M.: Radiotekhnika. 2010. (In Russian).
- Drogalin V.V., Efimov V.A., Kanashchenkov A.I., Merkulov V.I., Papkov A.I.,. Reznik V.I., Samarin O.F., Frantsev V.V., Chernov V.S. Sposoby otsenivaniya tochnosti opredeleniya mestopolozheniya istochnikov radioizlucheniya passivnoy uglomernoy dvukhpozitsionnoy bortovoy radiolokatsionnoy sistemoy. Uspekhi sovremennoy radioelektroniki. 2003. № 5. S. 22−39. (In Russian).
- Aleksandrov M.S., Orlov A.V. Tochnostnye kharakteristiki pelengatsionnogo i raznostno-dal’nomernogo metodov passivnoy grozolokatsii. Uspekhi sovremennoy radioelektroniki. 2003. № 5. S. 48−60. (In Russian).
- Kirsanov E.A., Kolesnikov S.A. Neyrosetevaya realizatsiya algoritma otsenivaniya koordinat istochnika radioizlucheniya uglomernoy mnogopozitsionnoy radiosistemoy v trekhmernom prostranstve. Radiotekhnika. 2017. № 9. S. 45−49. (In Russian).
- Streng G. Lineynaya algebra i ee primeneniya: Per. s angl. M.: Mir. 1980. (In Russian).
- Vygodskiy M.Ya. Spravochnik po vysshey matematike: Izd. 10-e, stereotipnoe. M.: Nauka. Glavred. fizmatlit. 1973. (In Russian).
- Tsypkin A.G., Tsypkin G.G. Matematicheskie formuly. Algebra. Geometriya. Matematicheskiy analiz: Spravochnik. M.: Nauka. Glavred. fizmatlit. 1985. (In Russian).